Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lembeh Strait, Indonesia Underwater Photos now on www.scubarews.com

After the pre-dive jitters that accompany the first dive of the big trip after a few months out of the water, I splashed down into murky warm 81 degree water and was handed my camera which was outfitted for macro. rig, my attention was drawn to a tubular shaped jellyfish with a narrow tip at one end that I thought might be a new species. On second glance I concluded it must be an empty squid egg sack. As my eyes focused on this newly discovered drifting creature it became apparent it wasn’t a jellyfish or any other rare sea creature, but an old discarded condom in the current of discarded waste. WELCOME to the most famous muck diving in the world, Lembeh Strait!

I last went diving in Lembeh in 2009, but I am amazed at all of the new species they continue to find there.  A friend pointed out that I had never uploaded my Lembeh images, so now I have.  Don’t let the rubbish, sometimes low visibility and remoteness of this diving destination scare you away. If you are an underwater photographer or just a diver that likes seeing the strangest and rarest creatures in the underwater world, then Lembeh is a must dive location.  You will see more new types of marine life on your first dive than many will see in years of diving.  It is referred to as muck diving because of the often poor visibility and garbage in the water that primarily comes from the major port city of Bitung. But the many species of frog fish, seahorses, scorpionfish, leaf fish, crustaceans, cephalopods, nudibrachs and pipefish have adapted in very unique ways to this environment and use it as an advantage.  The most important key to a successful Lembeh diving trip is to have an experienced dive guide with a very keen eye because camouflage is the method of choice for most of the marine life.

Here are a few images, but check out the website at www.scubarews.com for the complete trip portfolio.







No comments: